Axianomics helps local leaders make tough fiscal and economic development calls with confidence. We are glad you found our blog. Here, we will track municipal budget and revenue trends, highlight effective development and capital investment practices and update you on the economic indicators that matter. We use this first post to introduce our perspective on public finance and economic development. We also discuss Axianomics’ services that will help you maximize your return on development investment.
All politics are local, because the economic consequences are felt locally. Governments make choices that impact the economy. Then, the health of the economy sets the practical limits on government action. When policy recognizes the economic and political dimensions of development, the choices governments make can strengthen the economy. More private investment can be levered to complement public spending to achieve the community’s goals. Economic strategy and implementation must be inclusive to reduce political obstacles and make the most of public and private resources.
People we Help
If you take responsibility for your community’s fiscal and economic health, we are here for you. We define local leadership broadly. You may be a City Manager, CFO, budget or economic development director. You may be an elected official or a business or community advocate. Regardless of your title, if you are vested in your community making more effective and efficient development choices, we can help. We ground our research, forecasting and impact analysis in your local context. You don’t make choices in a vacuum. Your political and economic reality probably includes some or all of the following:
- Competition, near and far, for talent and investment,
- Shifting industry and workforce fortunes,
- Citizens who want more efficient, transparent and responsive government,
- Organizations with outdated worldviews, models and processes, and
- Legacies of good and bad choices from the past
We bring the best analysis and most effective perspectives. We can do this because we focus on the ways research and analysis makes the biggest impact at just a few points in the policy process. We work where it helps most during: Discovery, Strategy and Validation. We offer:
- Discovery tools that show the current health of your community, benchmarked against state and national trends. These include community economic profiles and asset maps.
- Strategy tools that help you set goals and identify options. These include economic development strategies, scenarios and economic forecasting.
- Validation tools that help you evaluate the costs and benefits of projects, and track progress. These include fiscal and economic impact analysis and custom community indicators.
See our Services page for more information.
Axianomics means the law of value. We define value broadly, because you and your stakeholders value more than just economic efficiency. A little analysis at the right time can make all the difference in the world.
Come back next week where we will review our research into changing state economic performance, and discuss what it means at the local level. In the meantime, sign up for email updates and let us know how we can help.